Sunday, March 7, 2010

The life in Admissions

So, for me to look at my friend, April's blog, I believe I have to have a blog myself, so I thought I would give it a shot, since I have started a new job, and I am sure lots of people want to know how my first week went. I will go ahead apologize, it might not be funny as other blogs you have looked at, such as Callie Dunaway's blog. I wait everyday to see if she has updated, and laugh my head off every time I read it. So, please do not compare. ha

First off, can I say I never thought I would be an Admission Counselor, but I love how God has his own plans for my life, and can't wait to see where he is going to be leading me! For those who don't know what an Admission Counselor is, she/he recruits students to come to their school, and I in my case, I will be recruiting students to come to the W. I will travel to their schools, and my area is North MS. So, the traveling part is going to be fun and new. I will get to work with high school counselors, which what I want to be one day!! So, since I haven't been able to pass this test called the Praxis 2, God knew I was going to be great at this job to learn more about the job behind the scenes, before going straight into being a guidance counselor.

Week one in the life of an Admission Counselor was rather eventful. Day one just started the whole experience with a road trip to Neshoba Central. Where Maeghan and I sat in their cafeteria, and waited for people to come by and ask about the W. Which is rather hard to get anyone at the table sometimes, because of the name, Mississippi University for Women, which is another story altogether. So, let's all go back in time as a 10th grader, and how immature we were, okay in this experience it was a boy and a laser, end of story, right? ha The things I will post, most people will not believe unless you experience it yourself. So, Maeghan and I were talking to one another, and then all of a sudden I see this red light shoot on the wall, and then found the boy that had the laser. Poor Maeghan, all we can think of is he was giving others an entertainment with his laser. So, we stayed in our seats until the bell rang to leave to make sure we don't give anymore laughs for the students. ha

Then Scholars' Day was the excitement for the week. The other admission counselors I am sure thought I was a dork, because not only did I have to learn how to drive a golf cart around on campus, I also got a chance to drive a 15 passenger van...oh yes, and with a thing hanging down from the ceiling called the "ClubWagon"(picture coming soon). Thanks to someone else realizing that it was the tag that came off the van, I mean it was no Escalade, but it gave me lots of laugh for the day! Dr. Limbert and Dr. Velek spoke, and Dr. Velek gave a speech that made me love the W all over again, he is such a motivator. I got to meet my students from the North Mississippi area, which I was really excited about. I am really looking forward working with such great Admission Counselors, who love the W and see such a great future ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment